Friday, July 07, 2006

Show me the money (where are the polling expenses)

On June 28th, 2006 I predicted that the conservatives would obsure their polling expenses (See comment 19 at myblahg.com under "Crooked Conservatives").

On July 7th, 2006 Somena Media reported that the financial statements for CPC's national body do not include a line item for polling expenses as they had in the previous year.

During the last election you may have received an election survey call - or even a call before the election. If you know your rights you may have asked, as I did, who commissioned the call. Presumably, I'm not the only one who was told the CPoC commissioned the survey.

So where are the records for conservative polling expenses?

The CPoC reports a line item for "research", which is usually for focus groups related to websites, print ads, radio spots, and TV adds. However, the conservative amount for research is half what the liberals recorded for polling and half what the conservatives spent in the previous election on polling.

So I'm asking, show me the money! Where is the accounting for polling expenses in 2005?